This is your MAH! School and Teacher Programs
- School Programs Brochure 2012-2013
- Interested in scheduling? Call 831.429.1964 x 7020 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to book today.
School Tours in History
History is more than just a story in a book….MAH is where HISTORY comes to life. We’re all part of history.
History-focused school tours feature local, regional, and state hisotry. All students experience the permanent history exhibition, Where the Redwoods Meet the Sea: A History of Santa Cruz County and Its People and engage in hands-on interactive activities to bring history to life. Please see below for details by grade level.
- Kindergarten-2nd grade. New this year! Learn more about your community through storytelling and dress-up activities centered on local Santa Cruz history. Tour length is one hour.
- 3rd grade focus on local Santa Cruz history. Topics include Ohlones, Californios and the 3 L’s of Early Industry: leather, lime, and lumber. Hands-on classroom activity lets students use primary and artifacts to discover a Mystery History Person and understand how historians conduct research.
- 4th grade Topics include early rancho settlements, tourism, economy, notable women and agriculture. Hands-on activity allows students to discover objects, analyze old photographs to discover four Mystery History People.
- 5th grade Topics include Manifest Destiny, westward expansion and immigration. Tour includes exclusive access to the Museum’s Archives where students investigate and research local history topics of their choice using the Museum collection of maps, books, artifacts, and more.
Tombstone Tales: Want to know the stories behind the tombstones? Established in 1850s, Evergreen Cemetery serves as the final resting place of some of the Santa Cruz County’s earliest settlers. Our community’s history is uncovered as docents tell stories and share memories of those buried at Evergreen. Each tour is an hour long. $1 per student.
School Tours in Art
Art opens doors to creative thinking. Make art. Make memories.
Art Focused School Tour encourages students to think critically while looking at original works of art. The Museum of Art & History art exhibitions offer a variety of artists, themes, and media. Teachers may choose from one of the upcoming exhibition offerings: Santa Cruz Collects in the fall, Work in Progress in winter, or Identity and Photography in the spring.
General Tour Information
The above tours are schedule from Tuesdays through Fridays beginning at 9am. 10 – 20 students, $35; 21 – 36 students, $50. Maximum of 36 students. There is no charge for teachers or chaperones; a minimum of one chaperone for every seven children is required. Our school tours and exhibitions are designed for all grade levels. Tours must be scheduled three weeks in advance by calling the Education Department at (831) 429-1964 x 7020 or email@example.com.