This is your MAH’s School and Teacher Programs
- School and Teacher Programs Brochure 2013-2014
- Interested in scheduling? Call 831.429.1964 x 7020 or e-mail email@example.com to book today.
The Santa Cruz County History Gallery is getting a refresh.
What’s next? The gallery will close June 1st, 2015 and open again in September 2015 with more stories.
Our goal is to tell the rich history of Santa Cruz County through new displays, more interactivity, and diverse voices. We’re exploring how history empowers us to build a stronger community, highlighting community members like you who make a difference.
Price: $50 Duration: 2 hours
History is more than just a story in a book….MAH is where HISTORY comes to life. We’re all part of history.
History-focused school tours feature local, regional, and state hisotry. All students experience the permanent history exhibition, Where the Redwoods Meet the Sea: A History of Santa Cruz County and Its People and engage in hands-on interactive activities to bring history to life. Please see below for details by grade level.
- Kindergarten-2nd grade. New this year! Learn more about your community through artifact handling, and group activities! Tour length is 90 minutes.
- 3rd grade focus on local Santa Cruz history. Topics include Ohlones, Californios and Early Industries: lime and lumber. Hands-on classroom activity lets students use primary sources and artifacts to discover a Mystery History Person and understand how historians conduct research.
- 4th grade Topics include early rancho settlements, tourism, economy, notable women and industry. Hands-on activity allows students to discover objects, analyze old photographs to discover four Mystery History People.
- 5th grade Topics include Manifest Destiny, westward expansion and immigration. Tour includes exclusive access to the Museum’s Archives where students investigate and research local history topics of their choice using the Museum collection of maps, books, artifacts, and more.
School Tours in Art
Price: $50 Duration: 2 hours
Art opens doors to creative thinking. Make art. Make memories.
Art Focused School Tours encourages students to think critically, as well as integrate speaking and listening skills as they tour a featured exhibition. Classes are divided into two small groups: one will explore one of our galleries on a docent-led tour while the other participates in a workshop in our Creation Station Classroom. The groups will switch halfway through the tour.
This hands-on workshop is designed as a complementary learning experience for students to get messy in our Creation Station Classroom! Each workshop is tailored to expand upon topics and themes students will explore within our current Art Exhibitions. The fundamentals of art that are covered in the gallery are translated into all of our creative workshops.
All art tours are aligned with the strands of the Visual Arts Content Standards for the State of California with a focus on art fundamentals. All tours also support Common Core State Standards by encouraging critical thinking, communication, creativity and collaboration.
Price: $35 Duration: 1 1/2 hours
Want to know the stories behind the tombstones? Established in 1850s, Evergreen Cemetery serves as the final resting place of some of the Santa Cruz County’s earliest settlers. Our community’s history is uncovered as docents tell stories and share memories of those buried at Evergreen. Each tour is an hour and a half.
General Tour Information
Art & History tours are scheduled from Tuesdays through Thursdays beginning at 9am.
Tombstone Tale tours are scheduled on Mondays beginning at 10am.
All tours accept a maximum of 36 students.
There is no charge for teachers or chaperones; a minimum of one chaperone for every seven children is required. Our school tours and exhibitions are designed for all grade levels. Tours must be scheduled three weeks in advance by calling the Youth Programs Department at (831) 429-1964 x 7020 or firstname.lastname@example.org.